From 1911 until his death in 1918, Gustav Klimt painted some of his most important works in his studios in the Feldmühlgasse. Though at that time it was a single-level cottage, in 1923 the owner renovated the house and turned it into a neo-Baroque villa. That means, of course, that Klimt never saw the building as we see it today. In spite of that, the house became known – by people in the neighborhood as well as by aficionados – as the “Klimt Villa.”
And it is that name that “stuck” and is used to designate the current enterprise.